Placement auditions take place in May 2023. If you cannot read music, don’t let that stop you! The sight reading portions are recommended, but not required for choir! All auditions are held by appointment only in the MCHS Choir Room (Room 2), please sign up below. Please arrive 10 minutes before your slot to warm up & sign in. If you cannot find a slot that works for you, email email@example.com to schedule an audition. *Signing up for a placement audition does not require you to commit to signing up for choir. We are welcoming incoming 9th-12th graders to audition, regardless of experience.*
Tuesday, May 16th during AMOH & 3:15-4:45
Tuesday, May 30th during AMOH & 3:15-4:45
Students register for choir. Following auditions, counselors will move students to their allocated ensemble.
- Current MCHS choir students should register for their current class
- (Vocal Ensemble register for Vocal Ensemble, Choral Union for Choral Union, MC Voices for MC Voices)
- Auditions for current students will take place during the class period as a curricular assessment (no need to sign up for an audition slot)
- New MCHS choir students should all register for MC Voices & will be sorted into classes once placement results are determined.
Scales (Major, Minor, Chromatic)
- Student will sing major, minor, and chromatic scales a cappella (without piano assistance) after receiving a starting note.
- Student hears three separate 4-tone patterns one at a time
- Student repeats each 4-tone pattern after listening twice
- Student will perform an excerpt of “Earth Song” (measures 1-25)
- Part tracks & sheet music are attached (email Ms. Crellin for a printed copy)
Sheet Music PDF HERE
All Parts HERE (0:00-2:15, we will be going faster than this recording)
Soprano: HERE (0:00-1:42)
Alto: HERE (0:00-1:42)
Tenor: HERE (0:00-1:42)
Bass: HERE (0:00-1:42, you may choose Bass 1 (upper notes) or Bass 2 (lower notes)
Rhythmic Sight Reading (OPTIONAL, recommended)
- Student will have 1 min to learn and perform a 4-measure rhythmic sight-reading example in a 4/4 using takadimi or a method of their choice.
- Examples Linked Here
Melodic Sight Reading (OPTIONAL, recommended)
- Student will have 1 min to learn and perform a 4-measure major, melodic sight-reading example using solfege or a method of their choice.
- Examples Linked Here
Attention Students: Want to learn more about the choir program? Want to get to know other musicians?
Everyone is welcome to our “Try Choir Day” on Tuesday, Feb 7th at AM Office Hours! Come to Room 2 to learn a tik tok harmony builder loop and some fun warm-ups, all while learning about the choir program!
Attention Parents: Want to learn more about the choir program? Want to meet choir parents and our choir faculty?
Everyone is welcome to our Parent Party on Tuesday, Jan 31st at 7pm! Come to the Mira Costa Athletic Complex Terrance to enjoy a meal, student performances, and to learn more about our program!